Creating M4sterPlan Projects
Once M4sterPlan has been configured on the MediaBeacon server and the appropriate workstations, administrators can create new M4sterPlan projects and assign them to users. To do this, add a M4sterPlan Admin workspace in the MediaBeacon web interface, which allows adminstrators to create new M4sterPlan projects and enter project information.
The M4sterPlan widget displays a list of all M4sterPlan projects that currently exist on the system. The numbers on the righthand side show how many users are subscribed to each project. Clicking the project title will display the project contents in the view widget.
To see information about a plan, hover over it and click the ‘i’ icon that appears.
To create a new M4sterPlan project, click the “Create New M4sterPlan” button.
If any M4sterPlan templates are defined, the user is presented with the option to select one for this project. The next dialog allows adminstrators enter information about the M4sterPlan project and which users it will be assigned to. Some information may already be populated if a template was selected. For information on creating M4sterPlan templates, see the M4sterPlan Templates section.
- Title: The title of the project, only viewable in the web interface.
- Description: A description of the project, only viewable in the web interface.
- Users: Which system users are assigned to the project.
- Ingest-only: This option causes the plan to import remotely added files, but not treat them as part of the plan.
- Active: This checkbox determines whether or not the project is active. If the box is checked, the M4sterPlan project folder will immediately begin transferring to the local “FileCloud” folder on each user’s workstation or device on save. If the box is unchecked, the project will not be transferred.
Unchecking “Active” on an existing M4sterPlan project will remove the files from all users’ local machines. The assets in MediaBeacon are unaffected.
- Ignore Remote Delete: This checkbox determines if client users can delete assets in MediaBeacon from their shared folder on their desktop. If the box is checked, a user deleting a file from their shared folder on their desktop will not cause the file to be deleted in MediaBeacon nor will the file be deleted from other users’ shared folders. If the box is checked and a user has deleted their local copy, they can recover it by taking it out of their desktop’s Trash or Recycling Bin.
- Start Date: Indicates when the project will begin. Files will not sync to assigned users until the start date has arrived. This date is based on the server’s local time. (Note: To distribute files on a date in the future, be sure that the “Active” button is unchecked. Otherwise, the files will be synced to the assigned users as soon as the project is saved.)
- Due Date: Indicates when a project is due. When the due date arrives, the folder is removed from assigned user’s devices as long as the optional step above has been configured. This date is based on the server’s local time.
- Asset M3TAForm: Sets the metadata panel that’s displayed when users click an asset in the “Assets” section of the M4sterPlan project file (see “Viewing M4sterPlan Projects: Working Locally > Assets”).
- Project File M3TAForm: Sets the metadata panel that’s displayed in the “Project Details” section of the M4sterPlan project file (see “Viewing M4sterPlan Projects: Working Locally > Project Details”).
Once the project start date has arrived, the M4sterPlan project will be synced to the assigned users’ devices or workstations. In addition to push notifications on their machines, each user will also receive an email notification indicating that the M4sterPlan project has been shared with them. The email contains a link to the project folder on the MediaBeacon server, as well as a link to the M4sterPlan project status file (see “Viewing M4sterPlan Projects: Working Locally”).
M4sterPlan Widget Configuration Dialog
- Hide M4sterPlan Header: When checked, this option hides the header of the M4sterPlan widget.
- New Plan Button Text: This options allows the text of the New Plan button to be customized.
Deleting M4sterPlan Projects / Removing Users
Note: Please review the optional steps in the “Installation: Client” section of this manual to ensure you have project removal enabled on each end user computer.
To pull project files from a particular user’s computer or device, simply remove the user from the project. Select the project file in the M4sterPlan Admin workspace (Project Title.xmpb) and click the “X” next to the user’s name and save the change. All project files will then be removed from the user’s computers and devices the next time the user has a network connection. If the device/computer is currently connected to the network, the files will be removed immediately.
To pull all project files from all assigned users, uncheck the “Active” box. This will remove all project files from remote devices while leaving the files in MediaBeacon intact.
To remove an entire M4sterPlan project from the MediaBeacon server, simply delete it from the directory tree like an ordinary folder. This will remove the files from all users’ computers, unsubscribe them from the project, and delete the source files from MediaBeacon.
Viewing M4sterPlan Projects: Web GUI
In MediaBeacon, M4sterPlan projects can be viewed in the M4sterPlan User workspace, which contains a specialized Places Tree widget. All projects that a user is a member of will display in this list, regardless of where they’re stored on the server.
Viewing M4sterPlan Projects: Working Locally
When a M4sterPlan project is shared to a group of users from the MediaBeacon interface, the files and folder structure are automatically synced to their local desktops or devices. Whenever the files or folders are changed, either in MediaBeacon or on another user’s machine, the changes automatically propagate to the central MediaBeacon server and to all other users subscribed to the project. Projects will appear in the “FileCloud” folder on any user’s machine. Any work that takes place in the project folder will be synced to other project members.
Project Status File
Every M4sterPlan folder contains a project status file called !M4sterPlan.html which has information about the project, as well as asset previews and metadata. The project status file can be used with or without an internet connection. While offline, certain features of the project status file will be unavailable.
The Assets section lists all the assets and folders that comprise a project. The buttons on the right provide a soft check-out option. To claim an asset, simply click the “Available” button. The button will change to the user’s name, which will be reflected in every other user’s project file. To release the asset, click the username and it will return to “Available.” (Note: Soft check-out does not prevent other users from editing the asset—it simply updates the status button in everyone’s project status file.)
Clicking an asset’s name will display a larger preview of the asset, along with additional metadata. Editing metadata in this window will sync back to the MediaBeacon server.
The “Project Details” section is a metadata panel that’s set by an administrator when the project is created. Any fields from MediaBeacon can be displayed in this area.
The “Users” section displays which users are assigned to the project, along with their email addresses. Whenever one of these users makes a change to a project asset, the change will propagate to the rest of the users in the background.
When M4sterPlan has an active network connection, opening the project status file will log the user in to MediaBeacon, which lets the user display larger asset previews, asset metadata, etc. If the network connection is lost, M4sterPlan will display a “Log In” button instead.
M4sterPlan templates allow various project information and folder structure to be set on a project upon creation. Assets placed within a M4sterPlan template are also included in each new project that utilizes that template.
Note: Modifications made to an existing template do not affect existing projects that were created with that template.
Creating a M4sterPlan Template
- For organizational purposes, it’s recommended a “Plan Templates” folder be created in the Directory Tree.
- Within the “Plan Templates” directory, create a folder to act as a template. Structure this folder to contain any children folders or assets that you would like to accompany new projects created with this template.
- Right click on the folder in the Directory Tree and choose Folder Info from the drop down.
- Add the M4sterPlan Template M3TAForm.
- Define any info in the form fields you’d like auto populated in new projects that use this template. Any information set here is editable upon plan creation.
Adding Assets via Cart Widget
If configured (see Installation: Client section for details), assets can be added to a user’s M4sterPlan projects directly from a Cart within MediaBeacon.
- On a Cart configured with this functionality, add any assets.
- Right click on the Cart and choose the “Add to M4” option. Note: Your option may be labelled as something other than “Add to M4” as this is customizable upon initial configuration.
- Select the M4sterPlan project you’d like the assets to be placed into.
- Click Save.
- Assets are placed in the top level directory of that M4sterPlan project.
Adding Assets Using Drag-and-Drop
Assets can also be added to a plan by drag-and-dropping them onto the plan in the M4sterPlan Admin widget. Doing this causes a dialog to display which allows the asset to be copied or moved to the plan.