- Double-click the MediaBeacon installation disk image.
- Drag “MediaBeacon” into the Applications folder.
- Double-click the “MediaBeacon” icon in your Applications folder to start the software.
Read through the license agreement, click “I agree to above license,” and click “Next” to continue.
Now select your “Shared Files Directory.” By default, a folder called “MBAssets” will be created in your Home directory. If you want to choose a different directory, click the Change button. When finished, click “Next” to continue.
If the “MBAssets” folder does not exist, MediaBeacon will ask permission to create it.
- This will bring you to the “Web Address” configuration page. If you aren’t sure what to do here, you can click “Next” to accept the defaults and use “Automatic address selection”...
- MediaBeacon allows you to use email notifications for various actions. The next screen allows you to set up email preferences.
- You will now be taken into the “Password Setup.” Here you must specify the MBAdmin password. This password is used for logging into MediaBeacon, from where you can perform many administrative tasks.
You also have the option of setting a Federated Search password, which corresponds to the “guest” account. Federated Search is deprecated in MediaBeacon 5.2+. However, this password should still be set, as the “guest” account cannot be deleted and has a blank password by default.
- Next is XMP Acceleration. MediaBeacon servers need to manage huge numbers of files. To allow this, MediaBeacon has developed a unique method of accelerating the write of the metadata for each file into the file system. This acceleration works outside of the standard XMP specification, but is crucial for reasonable response times on larger databases. MediaBeacon allows administrators to select the proper mode for their environment. In all cases, the users will download a completely compatible file. This setting affects only the way the files are stored on the server. Downloaded files are always downloaded in a completely compatible format.
For a full discussion of this feature and the available options, please see p. 38.
- Click “Done” to finish the installation and start using MediaBeacon.
The first time you launch the software, you will be required to enter a valid license. Your MediaBeacon reseller is supposed to provide you the license and should be contacted if you have any issues with activating the software. The name of the licensor is case-sensitive.
Upon entering a valid license, you will be required to activate it within 29 days, either by phone or online via the “Activate Now” button.
Successful activation allows full use of the application for the allotted license period.
- The final step is to configure HTML5 video options, which may or may not appear depending on the license type. For a full discussion of HTML5 video options, please see p. 26.