The MediaBeacon Import/Export Wizard collects three basic functions, all of which are in the List component in a special configuration.
- Import: Performs per-asset XMP metadata changes to many assets at once.
- This function can also create Data Only assets in bulk.
- Export: Export XMP metadata from MediaBeacon assets to standard formats.
- Bulk Select: Allows users to perform searches that contain many search terms on specific fields.
These functions are accessed as buttons in the List View component, enabled by an administrator for users whose roles require it.
The column header order determines the order for imported and exported metadata. For example, a List View component so configured can import or export a data file as shown below.
Once this is configured, MediaBeacon is ready to import metadata to, or export metadata from assets. Searching, filtering or selecting assets will narrow the scope of the set of assets acted upon.
Data Import Terminology
This guide makes reference to several distinct concepts:
- Asset: A file, with associated metadata that is currently resident in MediaBeacon.
- (Metadata) Import File: A file that contains the metadata to be imported into MediaBeacon via the Import/Export Wizard.
- Metadata Source: The original source(s) of metadata from which the import file is created. This is usually an existing spreadsheet, database, or previous DAM system.
- Export File: A file generated by the Export function. This can be repurposed into an Import file, depending upon the situation.
See also: Metadata File Terminology
Articles in this Guide
Function Usage: These articles review the required preparation steps to use Import/Export. Understanding this material is recommended before using the wizard functions.
Wizard Use: These articles cover the use of these individual functions in depth.
Reference: These articles cover fundamental data structure concepts and common optional functions.