A metaform is MediaBeacon's primary way to display metadata. Many predefined metaforms are built-in but many will be created by administrators for specific customer use cases. Once XMP fields have been defined in the "Fields" tab, metaforms are built using a list of XMP fields, each displayed with separately configurable properties in spindown tabs.The XMP fields that a metaform uses may be from multiple schema, and may also display or operate differently than their "base" configuration.
In MediaBeacon 2018.x, Metaforms are no longer automatically generated when a schema is defined, due to architecture changes in XMP field configuration. However, the "Create from Schema" function makes building metaforms from a single schema easier.
In MediaBeacon 2018.x, Metaforms cannot be imported and exported.
Create Menu Commands
- Create Metaform: Displays the Create New Metaform dialog, creating a new metaform when all required property fields have been filled.
- Create From Schema: New in MediaBeacon 2019.x, this command allows all current fields that share a schema to be automatically added to a new metaform.[image: admincore-createfrommetaform]
Metaform Configuration Asset Metadata
The name of the metaform. Primarily seen in the Asset View and the Bulk Edit dialog, for end users, but is referenced by the Admin Core in several places, primarily, the Visible Metaforms field in ACL configuration. When a metaform's name is changed, it will need to be reassigned to:
- ACL "Upload Metaform" field
- ACL "Visible Metaform" field
- Workspace Config: "Default Asset View Metaform" field
- Workspace Config: "Default Asset View Tabs" field
- Workspace Config: "Required Metaforms for Upload" field
- Upload HTML component configuration dialog: "Required Metaforms for Upload" field
- Metaform component configuration dialog: "Select a Metaform" field
- Infinite Scroll View component: "Metaforms Required for Upload Linking" field
- Tile View component configuration dialog: "Metaforms Required for Upload Linking" field
- List View component configuration dialog: "Metaforms Required for Upload Linking" field
- Video Edit component configuration dialog: "Metaforms Required for Upload Linking" field
- Metaform Stamper component configuration dialog: A stamp that uses fields in a renamed metaform will need to be deleted and recreated if edits to that field need to be made.
- This CSS class name is applied to the HTML element containing the metaform. Note the metaform tab itself is not classed via this setting .
Enable Grid View
- When enabled, the metaform is displayed in grid view.
- Requires that only "Comma Separated" fields be used in the metaform configuration
- Requires that each of the values contain the same number of entries in each multi value field.
- When an metaform is in this view, values cannot be edited.
- This type of metadata governance is not encouraged as a database rebuild could change the order of the values. Best practice is to use data block functionality.
This area displays "metaform fields" as rows of spindown panels. These may be an included XMP field or a "static" row, containing only text. Each of these rows contain a number of property fields to define the metaform field. Click the "Add" button to add a metaform field section.
- This field allows the user to choose the XMP field used for the current metaform field. XMP fields are listed by Display Name, Schema, and Internal Name.
- The name of the XMP field as it will be displayed within the current metaform.
When enabled, this option changes the field row to display as a static line of text.
- Display Name: Text entered here is displayed as line of text instead of a XMP field.
- Static: This option toggles off the static mode.
- HTML: When enabled, this option displays the value in "Display Name" as rendered HTML.
- Order: Operates as described below.
When enabled, this option makes the field "required". When used in a metaform, a required field prevents all XMP fields on that metaform from being written until the required field is filled.
Field UI Options
See the [Field Type and UI Settings] article for a list of these settings.
- Type Validator: See the [Field Type and UI Settings] article for a list of these settings.
- Default Value: A string entered here will be automatically prepopulated into the metaform field when viewed.
This property field accepts integer values that determine the ordering of metaform fields on a metaform.
- These values do not reorder metaforms fields in the Edit Metaform dialog, only when a metaform is displayed in the WebUI.
- Metaform fields do not inherit the "Order" value from XMP field properties, being null when added. Metaform fields, therefore, will display in the order they were added unless this value is set.
- Metaform fields with a null Order value are assumed to have a order value that matches their "initial order", that is, or the position corresponding to the order in which metaform fields were added in the Edit Metaform dialog. For example, the fourth added metaform field is automatically ordered as the fourth field in the metaform when viewed in the WebUI.
- If a metaform field is given an order value that matches a null field's initial position, the null value field will be ordered before the non-null field.
- Fields that have the same Order value (null or specified) will be ordered in the order they were added to the metaform.
- Best practice is to number fields with large values (100, 200, 300, etc, so that rearranging metaform fields in the future can be done easily.
|Edit Metaform dialog fields||Metaform View|
|Field A (Order: null)||Field A|
|Field B (Order: 4)||Field D|
|Field C (Order: 4)||Field B|
|Field D (Order: null)||Field C|
- On Show: Triggers upon the metaform field being called to be displayed.
- On Focus: Triggers when the field becomes the focus of user input, usually by tabbing or mousing to the field.
- On Blur: Triggers when the field loses input focus.
- On Change: Triggers when a field's value changes.
- On Load: Triggers when the metaform as a whole is loaded.
- On Submit: Triggers when the metaform as a whole has been submitted to write changed values.
- On Post Save: Triggers when the values the metaform submitted have been written.
The value entered here determines the number of columns used to display metaform fields in the WebUI.