An XMP field's type validator setting controls what type of data is able be entered, preventing invalid date entry.
- None: Effectively the same as String, used by legacy MediaBeacon configurations to denote a field that had just been created.
- String: Field will allow UTF-8 characters.
- Date: Allows only ISO 8601 date format data (YYYY-MM-DD, 1984-10-20)
- Force Dictionary: Allows a dictionary to be chosen to restrict entries to the values in the dictionary.
- Suggest Dictionary: Allows a dictionary to be chosen to suggest values to be entered in the XMP field.
- Hierarchy: This option enables hierarchical functionality for dictionary fields. This option is set manually and the dictionary that is configured with the dictionary field must be formatted as a hierarchical dictionary.
- EMail: Validates the string entered has a single "@" character with at least 1 letter on preceding and following it.
- Phone: Allows digit characters and "-" or "." characters.
- Integer: Allows a positive or negative integer value. The value must be between -2147483647 and 2147483647. Only digits and the minus sign ("-") may be entered. This is a 32-bit signed integer.
- Positive Integer: Allows a positive or negative integer value. The value must be between 0 and 2147483647. Only digits may be entered.
- Real Number: Allows entry of a decimal number.
- Positive Real Number: Allows entry of a positive decimal number.
- Large Number: Allows a positive integer from 0 to 9223372036854775807 (2^63). This is a 64-bit signed integer.
- Asset Reference: Validates that an entered string matches a currently extant asset's Asset ID / Record ID. Makes a field CSV even if set to String in UI element. A field with this type validator must have the "Index SQL" option enabled to operate correctly.
- Data Block: See the Data Block section, below.
Data Block fields (aka Repeating Data Block fields) are a data structure that allow a set of fields to be added in a repeating fashion. This is similar in function to multivalue fields, but include several field values for each repeating instance.
The data block uses another metaform as a "template" of fields to repeat, using the settings inherent to that metaform. This is assigned in the "Data Block" property field in the Edit Field dialog, similar to setting a dictionary for a Force or Suggest Dictionary field.
This metaform is the element that will be repeated for the Data Block field.
The Field configuration for the data block field.
A metaform containing a Repeating Data Block.
Data Block Data Structure & Search Filtering
The values written by a Data Block are not copied to the fields that compose the metaform used for the "Data Block" property field setting, instead being written as a strided value.
This data is displayed by the Search Filter as though the values were written to the fields in that "template" metaform.
Data Block Configuration
- Using the "Data Block" Type Validator, the UI Element is automatically set to "Repeating Data Block" and the Synchronization Strategy is automatically set to "Synchronous".
Using Data Blocks
- Data block fields are not displayed directly in Search Filter components. Instead, the Search Filter considers the data to be written to the "source" fields.
- When a data block field values are written, all other field values entered using that metaform are written Synchronously.
A field's UI element setting controls how it's displayed in a metaform. However, some UI element settings directly control data entered or underlying data structure.
- String: No special UI, basic data. Displays a single line of text, prevents line-breaking characters from being entered via keyboard.
- Textarea: Displays an expandable text-entry XMP field element. Entered line-breaking characters are displayed as breaking strings.
- Cascade: Displays hierarchical dictionary XMP fields as a cascade element.
- Comma Separated Cascade: Displays multivalue hierarchical dictionary XMP fields as a cascade element.
- Date: Displays a date picker on the right side of the field element.
- Checkbox: Displays the field element as a checkbox. When the element is enabled (checked), the value of the field will be the string "true". When the element is disabled (unchecked) the value is null.
- Comma Separated Values: Allows the field to contain multivalue string data.
- Comma Separated Dates: Allows the field to contain multivalue date data.
- Comma Separated Textarea: Allows the field to contain multivalue string data that can contain line-break characters.
- Repeating Data Block: This UI element is automatically selected when the Type Validator "Data Block" is selected.
- Simple HTML: Allows entry of html text. This element uses a rich text editor.
- Advanced HTML: Allows entry of html text. This element uses a raw text editor, and a preview of rendered HTML.
- URL: This acts as both a validator and as a UI element setting. The string entered must start with "http". Saved values are presented as a clickable hyperlink.
- Starred Rating: Allows a starred rating to be entered.
- Code: Displays the XMP field value in a code editor.
- View Only: Prevents data entry into an XMP field when displayed on a metaform. Best practice is to use this setting only in metaform configuration.
- Hidden: Prevents display of the field when included in a metaform . Best practice is to use this setting only in metaform configuration, and is often paired with a value entered in the "Default" property field.
List of Valid Combinations
Type Validator / UI Element
- String / String
- String / CSV
- String / Text Area
- String / CST
- String / Checkbox
- Date / Date
- Date / CSD
- Force Dictionary / String
- Force Dictionary / CSV
- Force Dictionary Hierarchical / String
- Force Dictionary Hierarchical / CSV
- Force Dictionary Hierarchical / Cascade
- Force Dictionary Hierarchical / CSC
- Suggest Dictionary / String
- Suggest Dictionary / CSV
- String / Advanced HTML
- String / Simple HTML
- String / URL
- Email / String
- Phone / Email
- Integer / String
- Positive Integer / String
- Real Number / String
- Positive Real Number / String
- Large Number / String
- Asset Reference / String
- Data Block / Repeating Data Block