MediaBeacon R3Search 7.0+ can be run as a service. The following are intended to intended to be basic setup instructions. Double-check each step to ensure its appropriateness for your particular configuration.
Windows Service Installation
- Ensure MediaBeacon and R3Search are configured and running properly before proceeding with service installation steps.
- Stop R3Search and exit the server application.
- Open a command prompt. The application must be run as the "Administrator". To do so:
- Press the windows key.
- Click the search icon, enter "Command Prompt"
- Right-click Command Prompt and choose "Run as administrator".
- In the command prompt,
cdto the R3Search installation, which is typically C:\Program Files\MediaBeacon\MediaBeacon R3Search.
- Run the command sc query R3Search to determine if additional MediaBeacon services are installed on the system.
If so, run the command bin\prunsrv.exe //DS//R3Search to uninstall them.
- Edit etc\r3search_inst.bat to add the user that the service should run as.
- Modify the PR_SERVICEUSER and PR_SERVICEPASSWORD lines. The username should be prefixed with the domain and should match the user account name that R3Search was initially installed under. For the built-in domain, use .\username. For additional information, see: https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-daemon/procrun.html
- Confirm that the line starting with SET PR_JVM= points to the correct jvm.dll on the system. The location of this file may change depending on the installed Java version and whether it’s the JDK or JRE.
- Confirm that the various references to the R3Search binaries are accurate. The C:\Program Files\MediaBeacon\MediaBeacon R3Search strings should be replaced with the actual install location if R3Search is installed to a non-default location.
- Update the PR_JVMMX variable to match the ‘Memory Limit (MB)’ set on the server side standalone R3Search application interface (which, in turn, should be set to a value appropriate to the server’s use and resources). If you’re unsure of a proper value for your environment, please contact MediaBeacon Support.
- Update the REM JVM configuration section and add the following two entries:
REM Local IP Address
REM Zookeeper Host IP Address
- In the terminal, run etc\r3search_inst.bat to install the service.
- R3Search can now be started and stopped via the server GUI or the Windows Services GUI.